Help compiling & installing SCSI driver

Author: AZ Pete
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Help compiling & installing SCSI driver
<-- Warning: charset '0' is not supported -->

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with compiling and installing a SCSI RAID
controller driver.

The controller in question is a LSI Megaraid Enterprise 1500 SCSI
controller. I'm trying to load Fedora Core 3.

However, during the hardware detection phase, an error comes up saying that
there are no hard drives found. This server only has SCSI drives (no IDE)
on 2 different RAID channels. The current OS is Win2k and everything works
fine under windows. I'd like to convert this machine to Linux for some
internal dev work. Interestingly, if I load Redhat 9, it detects the
controller just fine and Disk Druid sees all the drives. I even booted
Linux BBC and it detected the controller and drives with no problems. It
seems that the controller is detected with kernel 2.4, but 2.6 doesn't have
the correct drivers.

I contacted LSI and they said they don't support Fedora, but the driver
source is available for download. So, I downloaded the source for the 2.6
kernel, but am now at a loss for how to proceed.

All the instructions provided by LSI consists of re-compiling the kernel on
an existing installation to include the drivers within the kernel (or as
modules).

I'd like to build a driver from this source and copy them to a driver disk
which I can then load during the Fedora install.
How is this done? If anyone can guide me in the right direction I'd
greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Peter