Copyright, Humor and lack thereof was [Re: emule]

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Copyright, Humor and lack thereof was [Re: emule]
>>> Sounds like you need a wifi-card; they can't really track you that way
>>> but you may piss off your neighbors! ;)
>>
>> I assume this is said mostly in jest. However, please do not continue any
>> discussions about using other's bandwidth or how to trade copyrighted files
>> without license to do so. There are many who have the impression that
>> Linux users are mostly out to get stuff for free (no cost) and "pirate"
>> (hate that term) content. This is, of course, not true but such
>> discussions simply become the an example to prove to the flawed point of
>> view as correct. I have run into this impression many times. PLUG should
>> not purpetuate it.

> I'm just trying to lighten up the list - relax. If my <lackof> sense of
> humor cultivates illegal activity and tarnishes our reputations, my
> apologies. I suppose we could always swing the topic back to "towel heads".

The joys and problems of a large collection of individuals is that what may be
funny to some isn't funny to all, hence the joy that is Political Correctness in
government and corporate environments.

And while downloading copyrighted material may be illegal, utilizing an
unsecured wireless router from your own home or public property is not illegal
as it is the legal responsibility of the owner of the device to reasonably
secure it from casual intrusion. This is due to the DMCA wording of security
(even just an XOR encryption is illegal to break), but according to the FCC the
airwaves are under their control and you have every right to listen to signals
that pass through your property. So, having a wireless card in sniffer mode or
a satelite dish pointed at the sky aren't illegal, but breaking someones
passcode for their wireless router or decrypting a protected satellite signal
are illegal...