Re: SUSE product help

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: SUSE product help

On Dec 2, 2004, at 6:49 AM, KevinO wrote:
> Kurt Granroth wrote:
>> No, the SuSE server is incredibly slow. Avoid it at all costs. Your
>> best bet
>> might be to go through the FTP mirrors list and try downloading a
>> large file
>> from each to time how long it takes.
>>
>> I tend to use one of these three hosts (in this order):
>>
>> ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/suse/ (Oregon, Corvallis)
>> mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/ (Illinois, Chicago)
>> chuck.ucs.indiana.edu/linux/suse/suse/ (Indiana, Bloomington)
>>

> Do any of these mirrors support rsync?

Yes, all three of the listed ones do. In fact, I believe that *most*
of the servers on the list support rsync. A good way to check is to
try this:

rsync <HOSTNAME>::
and
rsync <HOSTNAME>::suse

For instance,

rsync ftp.oregonstate.edu::

tells me that the service has moved to rsync.osuosl.org so I try

rsync rsync.osuosl.org::

and I don't see suse listed... but I know that it's on their ftp server
and I try

rsync rsync.osuosl.org::suse

and VOILA!

Kurt