Re: Need Advice on Spyware Removal for Debian

Author: Austin Godber
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Need Advice on Spyware Removal for Debian
Mark Phillips wrote:
> OK, How do I change my name servers or run my own? How much of a system
> do I need? Can I use an old Pentium 266 MHZ laptop to run my own name
> server? Or, do I just point my router/gateway somewhere else other than
> what cox gives me? How do I prevent Cox from changing the name servers
> in my Linksys router?
>
> Does that violate my agreement with Cox? Will they know? Should I care?
>
> I think I might be seeing a little lite at the end of the tunnel - PLUG
> is great!!

Hold on ... I don't think that setting up your own DNS is going to
really resolve your problem. It might speed up your DNS requests but
its not going to solve your problem ....

lets look at the output of your cat /etc/resolv.conf

why does it say "search pmi.com" at the begining? If you go to pmi.com
do you see the under construction page ... and if you type "google" into
your URL bar (without the .com on the end) do you see the same page?

This is because anytime you enter a bad hostname (without the domain
part) the search line in resolv.conf tells it to try google.pmi.com ....

so, remove that search line and you won't see that craziness anymore.
How it got there is another matter ... do you use static IPs or DHCP ...
if DHCP then that may have been given to you. If not ... somehow it got
typed in there. Who owns the file, what are the permissions and when
was it edited last? ls -l /etc/resolv.conf

Anyway, take your favorite editor and remove that search line and you
should be set ... or just type the whole name of the host.

Austin