Re: Window's 'Remote Assistance'

Author: Michael
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Window's 'Remote Assistance'
> Yes, I have used vnc successfully for a while, but trying to get my Dad,
> who lives in Cal, to do such is not a battle I am willing to fight - I
> once told him to "right click" and he wrote "click", surprisingly without
> success. :)
>
> I know of the different methods for remote administration, but I was
> curious if anybody has had success with this specific method. Aren't
> these invites handled by PC Anywhere?

I don't know about PC Anywhere. But if it did handle invites... how or why
they would want to do that is beyond me since they have their own thin
client proto. Last version I used was 10 or 9 and all it did back then was
waited for a connection like VNC or enabling remote desktop by itself. But
you can accept them from text file, email or instant message... The
difference is they all require MSN software to establish the connection if
your using MSN messenger or not if you are using 'remote assistance'.

I don't know if this is the problem, but are you confusing remote
assistance with remote desktop? While they both use the the remote desktop
client aka RDP. One is a whole new thing that sits on top of the old
client/server thing.

On your dads computer just tell him to right click My Computer and go to
Properties. Then click the 'Remote' tab and enable 'remote desktop' and
add some user that has a password to access it. Then open up whatever you
need to open up on firewalls/routers/etc port number 3389 TCP. Get his WAN
IP and rdesktop away like you were trying to do initially. Just tell him
to stay away from it until your done since the terminal service for XP
only allows one user logged on at once.

If you want him to see what your doing with you being on linux and him
being on windows. Then all you got is VNC or really expensive things like
Citrix ICA that I know of. (hah! your dad running metaframe) I personally
like RDP5 as sad as that is. VNC is alright if you use a variant that has
good gif compression. But even then it never seemed as snappy or clear as
RDP or ICA was at 24/32 bit. Nor did it support sound redirection and
drive/device mapping like ICA and RDP. (unless something changed) But all
have their own nitch I suppose. Just depends on what you need to happen as
to which one you should use.

My suggestion is to just go over there and install linux on that thing so
you have the best client hands down..... SSH ;) j/k!

-Michael