Making an initrd image

Author: Liberty Young
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Making an initrd image
I'm having trouble making a bootable, working initrd image

Right now, I can get everything working just fine by:

making an initrd image using busybox and my own /linuxrc script. The
script inserts some USB modules, pivot_root's to a USB thumbdrive, and
then exec chroot . sbin/init <dev/console >dev/console

bootloader boots up, and passes to the kernel the arguments
root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc

This works...however, since linuxrc isn't being exited and passing
control to the thumb-driver's sbin/init, the memory never gets freed!

I am unable to pass to the kernel
    "initrd=initrd.gz", and have it find the ramdisk's /linuxrc, do the
magic, and then exit 0, which _should_ have the kernel invoke the new
root's sbin/init.

Anybody have any ideas?!?