GNOME hangs on new install of SuSe

Author: lynn.newton@cox.net
To: plug-discuss
Subject: GNOME hangs on new install of SuSe
Wise ones,

Help! (Please - if you do know.)

On Friday afternoon I installed SuSe 9.1 Pro on my Dell (P3 @500MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB drive), wiping the drive clean. I was pleased at how easily it installed and did such things as bringing me back on the Net and configuring X. Things have changed.

After doing several things to restore my files and configure a
few things, I logged of and attempted to log on. GNOME hung with this message:

---------------------------
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings
may not work correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Failed to execute gnome-settings-daemon: 2 (No such file or directory)

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

I was able to ssh from another terminal, but was never able to recover it, and lost an entire day's work for lack of
knowing how to get out of it, and had to start over from
scratch.

This time I created a second user immediate after logging in the first time, with login name "ghost", copied over everything from my initial login directory, chowned everything, etc.

Then I made a few changes that have absolutely nothing to do with GNOME, logged out, tried to login again, and I'm back where I started -- the little clock thingy just keeps spinning and never lets me in.

I managed to reboot again from an ssh shell, and I'm able to login as the "ghost" user without problems.

This is the sort of totally unacceptable behavior that
gives me nightmares. Any suggestions what might be wrong?
I have other observations to add, but I've got to send this before my WebMail session times out.