Re: hi speed internet options FTTP

Author: Rudolfo Munguia
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: hi speed internet options FTTP
I haven't heard of any plans for FTTP in the valley due to the extreme cost.

You see, due to the density of the population on the east coast they
have a much easier time justifying the capital expenditure of FTTP.
Much like parts of Japan where they are connection entire city blocks
via GigE/FastE; there are thousands of people per city block, making
the revenue per installed fiber much higher.

With Phoenix being pretty much the king of the "Urban Sprawl"
phenomena, we are lucky to have as much High-speed coverage as we do.
And that coverage is actually pretty poor, in many places you don't
have a choice of Qwest vs. Cox vs. Sprint, because they simply don't
have the equipment in the area to support it.

As far as your apartment, talk to your Lease office. Many companies
are connecting entire apartment complexes via Dedicated T1 and 10Mb
drops or WAP's. If they don't have that available, then ask if you
could talk to their Telecomm Technician. They will often times have
the inside scoop on whether or not the local Carrier has ISDN/FracT1
services available and can help you get it approved by the mgmt and
ordered with the Carrier.

The flip side of this is that you could create a business plan and
present it to the mgmt and run your own pseudo-ISP via FracT1+WAP
which could pay for itself.

I have worked in Telcom here in the valley for over 15 years, if you
need any serious advice, just ping me.