Re: soundcard probs/alsa probs/

Author: Lee Einer
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: soundcard probs/alsa probs/
Don't take this wrong, I only ask cuz I have been there and done that
myself-

Have you checked your Kmix or other audio interface to make sure that
the sound is not set at zero or muted? Some distros seem to install with
the sound levels set all the way down to zero, and it is quite easy to
go down the road of "Did it detect the sound card? Did it detect the
RIGHT sound card? What IRQs?" since such issues do arise in conjunction
with installation, vexing onesself to no end while missing the problem
due to its utter simplicity.

I know- I did this tail-chasing routine myself after installing Mepis on
my laptop.

Regards,

Lee

mike hoy wrote:

>pluggers,
>
>The only thing left to do on my laptop is get the
>sound card working.
>
>it's a soundmax digital integrated POS that is not
>supported by alsa for whatever reason.
>
>i use slackware 10 kernal 2.4.26
>
>and need some assistance getting the card working.
>
>i've worked with some pluggers on this already.
>dennisk is one. but we never explored ndiswrapper.
>
>would like to know if it is a good idea to use
>ndiswrapper w/ windoze drivers, or should I just wait
>and see what happens with alsa.
>
>the only reason i keep XP on this machine is for
>sound. I'm not sure I can live w/out it. Maybe I'm
>spoiled but I like to have my music blaring while I'm
>writing code or surfing the net.
>
>the laptop: compaq R3000 P4 2.8the card: soundmax integrated digital audio
>
>at least that's what it says in Device Mgr in XP.
>
>yes the laptop is fairly new (bought in 08/004) and
>yes it is likely that alsa will eventually write a
>driver, but considering the popularity of hp's
>compaq's you'd think they would have written one
>already if they could. probably soundmax won't release
>certain info to alsa. soundmax's website says if you
>want a linux driver to to ALSA. when you go to alsa
>you don't see it supported.
>
>any help?
>
>mike h

Lee Einer