Re: Installing firefox

Author: Donn Shumway
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Installing firefox
Depending on how you want to upgrade Firefox (it has built-in Upgrade
install capability) and how many users you have on your system, you
might want to install it in your home directory. That way the Install
Updates function within the Firefox Options will work. If you install
it under /usr/local to be shared, only root can perform updates.

Hope this helps.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:55:09 -0800 (PST), Stephen <> wrote:
> Thanks, I guess it doesn't like being installed from a
> root console under another user.
> Hmm, it didn't add a link in the kpanel, guess I'll
> have to do that.
>

> --- Rob Wultsch <> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:12:31 -0800 (PST), Stephen
> > <> wrote:
> > > I am trying to install firefox 1.0 on my Suse 9.2
> > > system, but I get a can't open display error.
> > >
> > > linux:/home/swiebel/firefox-installer #
> > > ./firefox-installer
> > > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> > > Xlib: No protocol specified
> > >
> > > (firefox-installer-bin:6403): Gtk-WARNING **:
> > cannot
> > > open display:
> > >
> > > I checked the system requirements, I have the
> > proper
> > > versions of glibc 2.3.2, XFree86-3.3.6, gtk+2.0,
> > > installed.
> > >
> > > What else do I need to do to install firefox?
> >
> > Try logging into x as the superuser, and then
> > running the script from there.
> >

> =====
> Stephen
> My homepage

Donn
"Sarcasm is the safe alternative to expressing anger."
--Richard North Patterson