Re: dumb PHP question

Author: Phil Mattison
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: dumb PHP question
Another approach is to extract the sensitive portions of your code
and place them in an include file that resides outside your document
root path. i.e.

/home/httpd/php-inc/myincludes.php
/home/httpd/html/mysite/mypage.php

Where mypage.php has the statement require_once("myincludes.php");
You can add the include path via php.ini or a variety of other methods.
That way no browser can reach it.
--Phil M.

> From: Vaughn Treude <>
> To: <>
> Subject: dumb PHP question
> Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 07:20:37 -0700
> Hello all:
> I know there are a lot of PHP gurus on this list, so hopefully it's not

too
> off-topic.
> I'm a newbie to PHP and I'm struggling with a login script for my
> organization's website. I'm using an example script I got off the Web
> somewhere. It uses MySQL through the "PEAR" database driver. Here's the
> code snippet for the connection code in db_connect.php:
>
> ---------------------------
>
> file://require the PEAR::DB classes.
>
> require_once 'DB.php';
>

> $db_engine = 'mysql';
> $db_user = 'XXXX';
> $db_pass = 'YYYYYYYY';
> $db_host = 'ieeepacn.com';
> $db_name = 'ZZZZZZZ';
>
> $datasource = $db_engine.'://'.
>   $db_user.':'.
>   $db_pass.'@'.
>   $db_host.'/'.
>     $db_name;

> $db_object = DB::connect($datasource, TRUE);

> This works, but it occurs to me: how can this thing possibly be secure?

The
> password's there in clear text. A person would only need read access to

get
> it. And if the PHP file's not globally readable, the login fails. Is

there
> some factor here I'm missing such that it's more protected than I think?

Or