OCR software

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: OCR software
I have some scans of some of my older books that I would like to apply OCR to
and was curious about people's recommendations on a package (either for Windows
or Linux). My biggest want in the package (besides accuracy) would be the
ability to maintain the layout of the original scanned image as the pages have
images or tables of information in the middle of some pages that interrupt the
flow of the text (or cause it to be redirected around it) and are multiple
columns of text per page (either 2 or 3 depending on the source).