fwbuilder and problems getting it to do what I want when i w…

Author: technomage
To: plug-discuss
Subject: fwbuilder and problems getting it to do what I want when i want
Ok,
I remember the presentation about a year ago when fwbuilder was first
introduced. I thought it might be an interesting tool.

However, there are some problems with how it functions (namely, after the
firewall is compiled, some things don't work quite as expected, and other
"features" in the program itself require retooling).

firstly,
the program doesn't allow me to initialize a "deny all" on the internet
interface and then followup with specified port openings (error: rules 0
shades rule 1. compile failed).

Another problem, I can't tell it to allow ping requests on the firewall. after
compile with that rule, the firewall still will not respond to pings. There
are a number of other issues, but they are minor and probably can be solved.

lastly, the hosts section allows me to input ip's ok, but figuring out the /xx
number using the netmask is rather complicated. can anyone suggest a better
way? I'd like to be able to input a proper ip/xx notation without having to
enter xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. is there a way to change that to
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/x(x)?

meanwhile, I am back to hand coding my firewall.

HELP!!!!