LIRC tips?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: LIRC tips?
As part of my pursuit of a nice way to display digital pictures, I am
planning to use LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control). This would alow
control of the picture display using the universal remote that came with
our TV.

I was reading the project web site (http://lirc.org) and everything looks
simple enough. I just had some questions that perhaps those in the group
with experience can answer. (Eric, you're listening, right?)

1. Hardware tips. Good local or internet places to purchase the parts.
What has worked best. What casing you used and where you got it.

2. The computer I am planning to use does not have a serial port but it
does have USB and I already have a USB-to-Serial adapter. Will the USB
powered adapter produce enough voltage to run the sensor board? Or,
should I go with a USB based sensor (http://usbirboy.sourceforge.net/)?

3. Any other tips, hints, alerts?

Alan