Re: why firefox instead of mozilla?

Author: shadow
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: why firefox instead of mozilla?
Bart,

> I use mozilla as my browser on both linux and windows.
>
> What are some of the reasons a person would use firefox instead of
> mozilla? I looked at their web page when the 1.0 release was
> announced and didn't see anything that grabbed my attention.
>
> Could any of you, who have experience with both, shed some light
> this?

Memory footprint. I use firefox on an LTSP installation with 25+
terminals. (Yes, it is at a K-8 school.) We started with Mozilla, but
ran into memory and speed problems with everybody logged in. A little
research showed that Mozilla has a ~20MB footprint while Firefox has
~4MB. This reduction in memory translates directly into speed on a
multiuser system like LTSP.

--
Chris Lewis

...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT
      (also known as the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly).

- Matt Welsh