Re: autosave (and other always empty directories)

+ (application/pgp-signature)
Author: Bill Jonas
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Command line solutions -- thanks to Bill Jonas (and others)
Subject: Re: autosave (and other always empty directories)
On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 08:59:02AM -0700, Josef Lowder wrote:
> Is there an efficient syntax to string commands so I could do a 'diff'
> on these two listings (without listing each to a file to compare files)
> to see what the two additional files are?

With bash and some others:

diff <(ls -a ~) <(ls -A ~)

The <() syntax is called "command substitution". It basically gives a
filehandle on the output of the command you have inside. You can think
of it as similar to a pipe, except it's for commands that don't accept
data on their standard input. For fun, you can try "file -s <(df -h)"
(or any other command instead of df) and note the results. (Results may
differ on different distributions, but "fd" is short for "file
descriptor".)

--
Bill Jonas    *        *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step