Re: How to build a multiple boot Linux system?

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How to build a multiple boot Linux system?
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:44:40 -0700
Josef Lowder <> wrote:

> I've just built a new box on which I would like to put
> at least three and possibly four Linux distros (and no M$).
>
> Any suggestions on how to proceed?
>
> Which should I install first?
>
> I think I'd prefer to use Lilo, unless there are important
> advantages to a different boot loader.
>
> Tentatively, I plan to install Mandrake 10.1, Mepis, and Xandros
> and I'd like to be able to use the same /home directory with all three
> if that is possible.
>
> Joe

Joe,

You might find this post on the Slackware newsgroup useful

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&threadm=y3Q8d.8512%24gs1.4941%40newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26c2coff%3D1%26group%3Dalt.os.linux.slackware

This article gives complete details on setting up multiple LILOs for booting multiple distros.

From past reading I don't think you want to use a common home directory since the competing versions of GNOME, KDE, etc will be constantly overwritng the config files in. Maybe there is a work around, I don.t know.

Did some one else bring up extended partitions? If so, I didn't notice. You'll be creating a lot of those since you can only have a maximum of four primary partitions.

The record for the number of distros on one box is, I think, 37. So, go for it!!

Dennisk