Re: Updates

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Updates
George Gambill wrote:
> I have a RH 8.0 system that used to be updated via Red Hat.
>
> What options exist to continue updating this not that RH no longer offers that service?
>
> Thanks, George

That depends on what applications you're running. ;)
I'm assuming that you're not compiling anything from source, given that
you're using up2date (installing binary rpms).

If everything you're running is included in the Fedora Core (formerly
Red Hat) distro, you could simply upgrade using Fedora Core CDs. Version
1 recently went to legacy, so I'd recommend using Fedora Core 2. Then
you can continue to get updates using up2date as you have in the past.
This would be the simplest solution.

If you'd like to consider a different distro, now would be a good time
to do that. If you have a decent chunk of HDD space available, setting
up a dual boot with any other distro (for migration purposes) is
relatively easy. Depending on your system (desktop, not notebook) and
budget, a new (additional) HDD can make that process a bit easier (no
need to resize partitions).

I'll be at the ASULUG's Installfest tomorrow if you want some help with
FC2. Let me know if you'd like me to burn a set of disks for you.
--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;