Re: How to connect a DVD burner plus a CD player? -- need ca…

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How to connect a DVD burner plus a CD player? -- need cables
On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 17:43, Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 12:55, Josef Lowder wrote:
> >
> >>1. What is the procedure to connect two CD units ...
> >>    one DVD burner plus one CD player?

> >>2. And, where can one find the necessary cables?
> >>
> >>3. Also, I assume that the primary unit (DVD burner)
> >>    should have the jumper set as "Master"
> >>    (even though one HD is also set as "Master" and one as "slave")

> >>I already have two hard disks on the primary IDE interface,
> >>and it is my understanding that I use the secondary IDE interface
> >>for the CD units. Is that correct?
> >>
> >>No instructions or cables came with the DVD burner -- I guess
> >>it is an "OEM" unit, perhaps a refurbished unit, although it does
> >>not appear to have ever been used.
> >>
> >>In any case, where can one find or purchase the necessary cables?
> >>And, how many cables are needed? I have an available power supply
> >>line, but in addition to needing the IDE interface ribbon cable, there are
> >>jacks on the unit for both a 2-pin digital audio connector and for a 4-pin
> >>analog audio connector. Are both needed? The Asus motherboard
> >>manual and diagram indicate a place for a 4-pint audio connector,
> >>but I cannot locate any 2-pin digital audio connector.
> >
> > ----
> > Most computers have a primary and secondary IDE controller. Each
> > controller can have a master and a slave connected to it. Thus having 2
> > hard drives on the primary controller, one primary and one slave device
> > would be logical. Likewise, you could have a primary and slave device on
> > the secondary controller. Common Linux designations would have...
> > hda -> primary controller, master device
> > hdb -> primary controller, slave device
> > hdc -> secondary controller, master device
> > hdd -> secondary controller, slave device
> >
> > The audio connection used depends upon your sound card (or integrated
> > sound), the analog (3 wires in 4 posts) would be more common. The
> > digital connection requires digital sound connector on your sound card.
> > Use digital if possible, analog is typical. Most sound cards (all
> > integrated sound that I am aware of) only allow for 1 CD/DVD device to
> > connect. That would the device primarily used for playing music.
> >
> > Craig

> Nice description, Craig.
>
> I'd like to add that there are two types of IDE ribbons, one with 40 and
> one with 80 wires. The 80 wire versions are for high speed DMA drives.
> You may find that your HDDs are DMA100 and your DVD/CD drives only do
> DMA33, in which case you'd want to put the drives with the same speeds
> on the same controller (channel/ribbon). The controller downshifts to
> the speed of the slower device, from what I'm told. All else being
> equal, you might want to put your HDDs as masters and DVD/CDs as slaves.
> That'll improve your i/o throughput for the most part. You might also
> want to consider which devices your BIOS can boot to. Newer models can
> boot to a CD anywhere, but some older ones will only boot to master
> [...]

----
the mix of drives and cd's depends upon the usage. The issue being that
a single controller apparently cannot access both the primary and the
secondary devices simultaneously so if you wanted to access the hard
drives at the same time (perhaps RAID 1), you would expect better
performance by putting them on different controllers. If you plan on
copying files to/from the CD/HD, then they would be better off on
different controllers.

The ATA 33 cables (40 pin IDE) and ATA 66 (80 pin) should be available
at any computer store (I know that Fry's has them) and the analog audio
cable should likewise be available at Fry's and perhaps others. If you
can't locate an analog audio cable, I probably have an extra on laying
around that you can have.

Craig