Re: Samba Woes Cont.

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Samba Woes Cont.
On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 15:55, Kyle Faber wrote:
> Good Day again Folks,
>
> Some of you may remember the issue that I had earlier where XP Pro was unable
> to access a Samba share. Turns out when the local windows administrator says
> "They should have full permissions" he means "they don't, but they should."
>
> Granting specific users network access rights in the XP Control panel fixed
> that issue.

-----
sounds like a case for group policy - when you have to alter individual
computers, it almost has to be poor management concepts.
-----

> Second issue, now that those XP machines are in..
>
> The Samba Server appears to be mangling the filenames down to 8.3 format.
>
> My Proposal.doc becomes my_pro~1.doc
>
> I have found information for turning this behavior ON in Samba, but so far as
> I can tell, this should be off by default and I certainly didn't flip this on
> (that I know of)
>
> I will adding an explicit (mangle case and mangle name) entries and set them
> to no tomorrow morning, but anyone have any ideas why it is on in the first
> place?

-----
That clearly isn't the default of Samba - at least not as supplied by
any distro that I have seen.

The thing to do with samba is to 'testparm' to see EXACTLY what the
settings are...
testparm -sv

NAME MANGLING is discussed pretty near the top of 'man smb.conf'

Craig