RE: Accessing smbmount error -- permission denied

+ winmail.dat (application/ms-tnef)
Author: Sanjay Darisi
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: Accessing smbmount error -- permission denied

-----Original Message-----
From: on behalf of Craig White
Sent: Mon 9/27/2004 1:35 PM

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 11:59, Sanjay Darisi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've kinda solved my previous problem regarding WIN2K3 shares posted a
> few days ago by disabling SMB digital signature option on WIN2K3
> server. Yet I'm looking for CIFS option. Meanwhile, I encountered
> strange error. Now, I can mount the share but cannot access it. It
> says 'Permission Denied' when I try to access the mounted folder.
> WIN2K3 share shows up when I do $mount . When I try to access the
> folder on which this share is mounted, it says Permission Denied. Btw,
> I'm doing as root, so even root cannot access this folder.
> /proc/mounts has
> //ServerIP/share /mnt/floppy smbfs
> rw,nosuid,nodev,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755 0 0
>
> I can mount other computers' shares (like I tried with another WIN2K
> server that we have, I was able to access it) I checked the
> permissions on /mnt/floppy directory so that root has rwx.
>
> I've tried mounting and accessing the same share from a different
> linux box and it worked like a charm. I was able to access it.
> /proc/mounts on this machine has
> //ServerIP/share /mnt/floppy smbfs rw,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755 0 0
>
> The only difference is in the version of samba package on these two
> boxes. The one that I was able to access the share from has
> samba-client-3.0.0-15 and the former one has samba-client-3.0.4-1.FC1.
> I've copied the latter smb.conf to the former one and tried but no
> luck.
>
> I've looked into all the log files but didn't find any useful info.
> Any ideas what is happening here? Why can't root access when mount
> went thru well. I don't think its a windows box issue. I looked at the
> log file on our WIN2K3 server, I couldn't find anything regarding this
> share access problem.
>
> Is there any other configuration issues that I'm missing. I've used
> the same smb.conf file on both the linux boxes. Any suggestions??

----
I tend to mount these things by hand first - before I set up fstab just
so I can test these options

mount -t smbfs //SERVERIP/Share /home/windows -o
"username=joe,password=joe_password"

or I think you can use cifs instead - much the same options

and then you should have no problems translating this to fstab (though I
am not sure that unix permissions will carry much sway with the windows
server).

Craig

I'm trying this by hand using the mount command, I'm not using fstab entry to mount. I do not have CIFS module, I'm running into errors when compiling one.

Sanjay.