Re: Need help making a /home partition

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Need help making a /home partition
On Sunday 26 September 2004 09:36, you wrote:
> Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 September 2004 09:01 am, Michael Sammartano wrote:
> >>What text editor are you using? In vi you need to type i or a to add or
> >>delete anything. Then to save you press the escape key then type :wq to
> >>save or if you are not the owner of the file type :wq!
> >
> > I was specifically asking about jpico, which was recommended as being
> > easier than Vi. I can't figure out how to place a # in jpico, and can't
> > find any help files in it. I know how to do the "i" for "insert", and
> > "Esc" and :wq in Vi. That's basically ALL I know of Vi :-/
> >
> > Siri Amrit
>
> I just did a google search on "vi editor command list" and found some
> very good references. If you're interested in learning more about using
> vi, jump on in. I know that vi has a bit of a learning curve, but if you
> expect to do much from the command line, knowing how to use vi nearly
> indispensable (imho).

I missed some of this discussion, but am I the only emacs bigot out here?
OK, it's kind of complicated but I dislike the fundamental bimodality of
"vi." (I mean editor mode vs. command mode; I prefer to use ctrl and alt for
commands.) i never have liked vi very well, even though I've been using it
sporadically for over a decade. Guess I know emacs too well, so switching to
a different command set annoys me.

Vaughn