Re: InstallFest D-Link Wireless

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: InstallFest D-Link Wireless
Bill Wesson wrote:
> I ran the lspci utility and it came back and identified the card as D-Link
> unknown. The chipset is Atheros. It is not one of the more common cards.
>
> Maybe someone knows of a cheap card <$60 one can pick up at the store and
> would be immediately recognized by most distributions?

I don't think that there's any card that's reached such a state with
most distributions. The technology's too new (imho). I think that there
might be a couple live CD distros (knoppix, mepis) that handle some
wireless cards relatively painlessly. (Someone please correct me if I'm
wrong).

> I don't like to be
> challenged by my OS. Besides, either the card manufacturer gets behind
> Linux, or it gets left eating the dust. This ain't no hobby! It's work!
>
> --Bill

Looks like you might be in luck, Bill. You'll need to use MADwifi. The
wiki front page is at http://madwifiwiki.thewebhost.de/wiki/FrontPage
Lots of information there.

See http://madwifiwiki.thewebhost.de/wiki/MadWifi
Your "lspci -n" command should show the device as 168c:0013 (rev 01).

Various user comments about your card are at
http://madwifiwiki.thewebhost.de/wiki/DLinkDWLG650

Step by step instructions are at
http://madwifiwiki.thewebhost.de/wiki/MadwifiConceptronicC54COnRedHat9

If you want help at the installfest, I suggest you print the
instructions page(s) and bring it with you. You'll also need the cvs
source. That's 6.5M worth of stuff, so it won't fit on a floppy. It'd be
nice if you have it on your HDD when you come. If you have a wired
connection working, simply run the cammand at step 4 in the
instructions. If you can't get the source, let me know and I'll burn it
on a CD for you. I'll have RH9, FC1, and FC2 disks with me (including
sources) in case they're needed. If you can do steps 1-4 before the
installfest, that might save considerable time.

Then again, the instructions page looks pretty simple. You might want to
just try the whole installation yourself, and let us know if
(when/where) you get stuck.

We're here to help (not to do it all for you ;) ).
--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;