Re: Upgrade Churn (Mandrake 10.0 comments)

Author: Phil Mattison
To: PLUG List
Subject: Re: Upgrade Churn (Mandrake 10.0 comments)
<snip>
With each update of each 'daemon', comes more and different
configuration options. I have also found that things don't always work
like I would expect them to and of course, there is the benefit of
re-doing configurations that takes newly learned administration skills
through the process of re-thinking the setup.
</snip>

True enough. I found that when I went from RH7.2 to MDK9.2, and also (to a
lesser extent) going from MDK9.2 to 10.0. But sometimes they work as-is. For
example my Samba setup hasn't changed at all. Admittedly it's pretty simple
because it's a private network, but I'm usually more interested in just
getting it working than in learning all the latest whiz-bang features. Even
if it doesn't work right off the bat its easier to tweak what worked before
than to start from scratch.
--
Phil Mattison
Ohmikron Corp.