SATA Drives temperature problem???

Author: George Toft
To: PLUG Discuss
Subject: SATA Drives temperature problem???
Just found out I had a serious transient heat problem with my two SATA
drives. The SATA drive electronics heat up real bad (too hot to touch)
when the drive is under heavy load. I was getting system lockups - it
seems that when the SATA drive electronics heat up, the SATA disk driver
reports three ATA errors and then the box locks up. By putting a fan
under the drive, it stays cool and the drives work fine.

I bought a couple $12 thermometers with external sensors. I mounted the
display outside the case, and put the leads on the circuit board of the
SATA drives and watched as I tried various things. Anything that causes
the drive to perform a lot of IO (find, dd, tar, etc) causes the CB to
heat up, and the drives to "fail"

Obvious solution is to get a pair of drive coolers. Any other
suggestions. Anyone else have this problem?

Sign me - wishing I used PATA drives...
--
George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
AGD,LLC