D-Link wireless card

Author: Mark Phillips
To: Eric \"Shubes\", PLUG
Subject: D-Link wireless card
Eric,

Your email inspired me to get my wireless card working, and I did, sort of!

I downloaded the latest ndiswrapper source, compiled it, installed the
correct XP driver, and lo and behold the lights started flashing on my
wireless card. I even got the card to go out and get an address from dhcp!

However, I am rather stumped on how to set up the a wireless interface
in Debian. How do I automate the process of loading the ndiswrapper
module and then making wlan0 the default network interface if the card
is in the computer? What conf files do I modify to automatically detect
the presence of the wireless card and have dhclient get an address for
that interface instead of the built-in wired interface?

I tried adding ndiswrapper to /etc/modules, but that did not work. The
module was loaded (dmesg shows it loaded without an error) but I think
it loaded before pcmcia services, so it did not see the card. If I
reboot with ndiswrapper in /etc/modules, I cannot get ndiswrapper to
recognize the card even if I modprobe it again. If I boot without
ndiswrapper in /etc/modules, I can use modprobe and the card works (i.e.
the lights flash).

I read /usr/share/doc/wireless-tools/README.Debian and setup
/etc/network/interfaces with:
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# The wireless network interface
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless_essid PhillipsMarketing
wireless_mode Managed

eht0 works just fine, but I can't seem to get ndiswrapper loaded so that
the wireless part works.

My manual process:

modprobe ndiswrapper
ifconfig wlan0 up
dhclient wlan0

Now, when I run ifconfig I get wlan0 with a valid ethernet address on my
network.

Any references to the correct man pages or docs would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks!

Mark Phillips