RE: open source books

Author: Bart Garst
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: open source books

> I have been seeing more and more open source books that are actually
> available in printed book format.
>
> I am doing a little research ...
>
> Have you read any open source books in print format?

Yes, I read "DocBook: The Definitive Guide" (O'Reilly) in both formats.

> What do you think about reading via computer versus tangible book?

I like the printed format because it's easier (for me) to use as a reference
manual once I've read it. I also like printed format because of the eye
strain I get from a computer screen.

However, you can't beat the on-line format when it comes to being
up-to-date.

> Are there any open source books (not in print form) or open source
> documentation, you'd like to read as a printed book or should be in
> printed book format?

I'm sure there would be many, but none come to mind at the moment.

A section on the PLUG website dedicate to open source books sounds like a
good idea.

> I have several ideas for some books based on open source content. If you
> have a moment to give feedback off-list on some of my ideas, please let me
> know.

Time is in short supply, but I'll try and spare some.

You can contact me either on-list or off-list.

Bart