Re: ISP Performance is Port# Related?

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: ISP Performance is Port# Related?
On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 16:30, Ed Skinner wrote:
>      Does it make sense that the service provided by a DSL ISP would vary such
> that HTTP (port 80) throughput is lousy by pings, email send/receive and
> "bandwidth tests" on various web pages seem to go just fine? I'm trying to
> figure why this connection seems so rotten but all the bandwidth tests say
> it's OK. It's becoming a daily (afternoon) regular thing to basically give up
> any sort of HTTP effort...

----
There are a lot of things that may impact http performance.

ECN tends to not work
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

ipv6 might impact performance on Mozilla/Fedora 2 (possibly elsewhere)
http://www.fedorafaq.org/#mozillaipv6

Poor response from dns servers...check with ISP
Clear disk cache...try another browser (heavily recommended).

Windows ? 1 obvious answer...spyware

Craig