C++ Shared Libraries

+ (text/html)
Author: Phil Mattison
To: plug-discuss
Subject: C++ Shared Libraries
Here's something that doesn't seem to work on Linux
the way I would have expected:

I wrote a small utility program in C++ using Kdevelop. It is a
console-mode program that uses only the stdio.h run-time
library. I want to run it via exec() from a PHP script on a
shared hosting web server. It all works fine on my
development machine but not the shared host. Neither
my machine nor the shared host are running PHP in safe
mode. When I run the custom program on the shared host
via their provided SSH shell login I get an error indicating that
the stdlibc++.so.5 shared library could not be found. Ignoring
version dependency problems for the moment, I would expect
that a simple console-mode program would be self-contained
and should not require any external libraries once compiled.

So first, can anybody tell me if that is correct, or would a simple
"Hello World" program require run-time linkage with resident
libraries on its host system? (If it does, Linux loses many
points in my opinion.) Of course the login shell on the shared
host is running in a chroot jail.

Second, could the chroot jail be the cause of the problem?
This seems like a ridiculous obstacle to something that
should be very simple.
--
Phil Mattison
Ohmikron Corp.