Re: [Fwd: Your email requires verification ]

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Your email requires verification ]
Eric \Shubes\ said:
> Does anyone know what's up with this email? I get one for each email I
> send to the plug list (as of this am).

My quick guesses after looking at the email...

1.
Someone is using a challenge-response system to filter spam. This is
where they have a "white list" of acceptable email senders and if they get
an email from someone not on the list, an automatic reply (challenge) is
sent to the "repy-to" address for the person on the other end to confirm
the message is real. If someone confirms, they are place on the "white
list" and do not have to respond to the challenge in the future.

The problem is that some spammer is using your email address as the
"reply-to" so that you get the challenge messages instead of him. This
happens to me on occasion.

OR

2.
A spammer is sending out challenges that are not real so that people will
respond and confirm their address as a live, good address. Any response
will then ensure more spam.

OR

3.
The PLUG email list is doing something funny. I doubt this one since I am
not getting these funny replies.

OR

4.
Something else because I am completely wrong in my guesses.

Alan