Re: sendmail problem?

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: sendmail problem?
On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 16:30, Ed Skinner wrote:
>      Well, for those who might be reading this thread, here's a little more
> dope.

> 1) KMail (nice GUI mail sending and receiving program) bypasses most of what
> you'll read about as far as handling the sending and receiving of Email on
> Linux, especially if, like me, your Email is hosted (stored) elsewhere and
> you use POP or IMAP to retrieve it with KMail from one or more mail servers.
> For example, I have KMail configured to retrieve Email from Email accounts at
> QWest for the flat5.net domain they host for me, and also at ghs.com (who
> gives me a regular paycheck :-), and at yet another web-hosting service for
> the rytetyme.com domain (that I own but which is otherwise dormant). For most
> of my Email, these services and KMail get alone just fine.

----
Indeed, you can simply use your ISP's smtp server to send outbound mail
by choosing to use an SMTP server instead of Sendmail
(/usr/bin/sendmail).

Personally, I think that it is much better to set up smart host if
necessary and proper hostname (masquerading if necessary) since that
covers all bases and all applications and means that everything just
works.

Craig