sendmail problem?

Author: Ed Skinner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: sendmail problem?
I've got a new machine with Fedora Core II and I'd like to use good old
"mail" (and "nail" as well) in a script to fire off some messages. Sending to
local users works fine but "mail" to an off-machine user doesn't arrive.
Looking at /var/log/maillog, I can see that sendmail is attempting to relay
through "mpls-vmail.inet.qwest.net" which, I presume is the problem since my
outgoing mail ain't supposed to go that way.
     FYI: most email (such as this message) are going out via KMail which
appears to be bypassing sendmail and going directly to "pop.phnx.qwest.net"
which was configred (by me) into KMail.
     The question is, where did sendmail pick up that bogus name? Brute force
grepping of /etc and thereunder failed to find it so I'm guessing sendmail
figured it out (incorrectly) at startup from elsewhere. Is this something
that should be in sendmail.cf to override that bogus guess?
     Suggestions would be most appreciated as I don't want to hafta become a
sendmail expert...
     TIA

--
Ed Skinner, , http://www.flat5.net/