Re: NdisWrapper - List

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: NdisWrapper - List
Mark Phillips wrote:

> Eric "Shubes" wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>> Try getting files for your wireless card from this page. It's more
>> current (correct) than what we were using.
>> No cabs either! (at least for my card)
>> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/List
>>
>> P.S. I'd've sent this off list, but I'm not sure of your email address.
>>
> Eric,
>
> Thanks for the info. What card do you have?

Linksys WMP54G.
> Mine is the DWL-G630. Did
> you get your card to work?

Not yet. I found my pciid (14e4:4320) and have thus verified that I'm
dealing with the Broadcom 94306 chip, which ndis does support.
> What kernel version are you running?

2.6.5-1.358
> What distro?

Fedora Core 2 (FC release with 2.6).
Good question. I don't think distro's too significant, but kernel is
very significant! What distro/kernel versions are you running? (I
remember Debian all right ;)

> I did not find the DWL-G630 on this list, but there is an entry for the
> DWL-G510, which seems to be the same card as the G630 (I have seen them
> referred to as the same in other posts on the net.) They both have the
> same pciid - 11ab:1fa6.

They may not be the same in other ways, but (from what I understand) the
pciid indentifies the chipset (the second part anywise, the first part
appears to identify the manufacturer of the chip). I'm thinking as you
that drivers which work for the DWL-G510 would work for your DWL-G630.
Your chip mfr is apparently "Marvell" (hadn't heard of that one yet). I
poked around my FC2 system and found some interesting stuff in
/usr/source/linux-2.6.5-1.358/drivers/net/wireless, including a README.
Nothing seemed to indicate that Marvell was natively supported though.
:( FWIW
> If you click on driver link for that card, it
> takes you to the same asus site and same driver download. I was looking
> for cab extraction because (1) I downloaded the wrong file type the
> first time (the utilities instead of the driver), and (2) I tried to use
> the driver from the D-Link CD that came with the card, but the files are
> all in a cab file and not separate. I also looked at the D-Link site,
> but all I found were the same cab files as on the cd.

I see. I've downloaded the appropriate drivers pointed to at the ndis
site (linksys site, in my case). I also happened to find the drivers
(.inf, .sys) for my card on my windows system, left over there from when
I updated the drivers when I first got it (works fine with W98).
I don't know how d-link's install works, but you might try searching for
your drivers on your XP system. My guess is that they wouldn't be there
based on what you said about d-link using cabs, but it's worth a shot.
No more luck with the expand command yet, I take it? I think that may be
your saving grace in getting your .inf, .sys files (drivers).

> I posted a message on the ndiswrapper help forum on sourceforge to see
> if there is a way to get the card recognized.

Good idea.

> Let me know if you discover any more pieces to the puzzle!

As I said, I've got my drivers. I noted from the ndis wiki site that for
my card, whoever got it working used gentoo 2.4.26 and ndiswrapper 0.9.
That lead me to two dilemmas, namely kernel and ndis versions. I'd like
to use the latest ndis version (0.10?), but I'd also like to install a
binary rpm instead of building it (and the kernel) from source. The
latest rpm build I can find is 0.7, and it's only for FC1, not FC2 (very
different kernels). I was thinking that maybe ndis doesn't work with
FC2/2.6 kernel (it's not needed if your card's chipset is supported in
2.6 which is why we're using ndis to begin with), but I see from ndis
installation instructions (rtfm) that anything post 2.4.20 or 2.6.0 will
(should) work. I also see that I should be using XP drivers. Oops,
need to check that out again.

Anywise, my options at this point seem to be either to back off to FC1
and use the 0.7 binary rpms, or go ahead with FC2 and (re)build the
kernel with ndis from source. I haven't built a kernel yet and have been
intending to, so that's the direction I'm leaning. I want to read some
more of the ndis documentation first though before I go off in either
direction.

Onward and upward!

> Cheers!
>
> Mark