Network Config Problem

Author: Ray Hauge
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Network Config Problem
Hello All,

I've been running Slackware 10.0 (was 9.1 but I upgraded with Swaret)
That went just fine a while back. I hadn't restarted in a while, so
maybe some package caused the problem (I only use the official servers,
not linuxpackages.net or anything like that). Just this night I was
installing the new kernel, and when I restarted, my network went down.
When I did ifconfig, it was just blank. I had to manually bring up the
interface, but even then nothing is really working other than ifconfig.
I can't ping anything anymore.

So, I booted back to my old kernel thinking I missed the support for my
network card, but now my network doesn't work on my working kernel
configuration. I checked /etc/rc.d and now there's a bunch of .new
files. There's also an rc.S and rc.M. rc.inet1 was not executable, and
that was the file that was set to bring up the network on the boot. I
made that executable, and when I boot I get eth0 and loopback, but I
still can't ping anywhere. I checked dmesg and there didn't seem to be
any weird errors other than eth0 is running in permiscuous mode now.
Another odd thing that happens now is that ldconfig is run on the boot.
When I ran make modules_install, did that screw around with my rc files
like this?

Thanks everyone!

Ray Hauge