Linux Development Jobs in the Phoenix Area?

Author: Jonathan Hohle
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Linux Development Jobs in the Phoenix Area?
Hi,

I'm new to PLUG, so if this is out of line, let me know.

I'm looking for a development/programming/software engineering job in
the Phoenix area, and if possible I'd love to be working in or on
Linux (either software for Linux (single or multi-platform), or on
OS-level software). If you want to skip the job inquiry and hear more
about my Linux experience, jump past the next three paragraphs.

I've tried all the normal channels (Monster, etc.) but I figured you
guys could give me a much better feel for what the Linux job scene is
like in Phoenix right now.

For the last year I've been working as a consultant on a project for
the state of Wisconsin. I've spent most of my time doing Oracle
PL/SQL development. I graduated in 2003 with a degree in Software
Engineering from Milwaukee School of Engineering, where I went through
the whole battery of software engineering courses that went through
the entire software life cycle: from requirements elicitation to
testing.

I can provide a resume and transcripts upon request.

So it doesn't seem like I'm just trolling for a job, here's a little
about me and Linux:
I've been using Linux for about 4 years. I worked as a sys admin for
a small company on campus where we ran Redhat for file serving (via
Samba and NFS), web serving, email, database, and backup. Interested
in learning more, I installed Redhat on my laptop (back in the days of
KDE 1.x) and eventually got a usable desktop. I dabbled in Mandrake
and SuSE for a while and about two years ago I moved to Gentoo and
haven't looked at another distro since. Now I run Gentoo exclusively
on my desktop, but a year ago I "switched" to OS X on my laptop and
don't think I'll be installing linux on it anytime soon.

I'm a big fan of operating systems in general when I had more free
time, liked to dabble in as many as I could find (BeOS, FreeBSD, QNX,
SkyOS, Solaris, Irix, Mac <9.x, Windows) but have found Linux and OS X
to fit me the best (well, except BeOS, but unfortunately there's not a
lot going on there anymore).

If there's anyway I can help PLUG, I'd like to do what I can.
Currently I'm in Phoenix less then not, but I'd gladly do anything
that isn't location-centric that I can.

Jon
<><