RE: Rescue tools for Windows systems

Author: Bill Wesson
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: Rescue tools for Windows systems
Q4: Does Windows care where the above three files
reside on the disk? I started my first copy with
the -f option and then decided to re-do it so that
those files would be placed wherever format puts
them.

A4: Windows requires MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS, and I believe COMMAND.COM? to be in
the first sector. Regardless, an easy way to assure booting of Windows ME or
lower is to use sys.com from MSDOS/Windows. Sys.com puts the boot files
correctly into the partition. It is recommended to use sys.com before
restoring files to the partition. Early version of sys.com could not squeeze
IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS into the first sector if other files were already in
the first partition. I believe in later versions, Redmond fixed that
problem.