Re: How to restore MBR and LILO

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How to restore MBR and LILO
On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 11:07, Josef Lowder wrote:
> I had win98 and Linux installed and working on separate partitions
> on an old laptop, and I used Partition Magic to create a new partition
> (shrinking the win "C" partition) so I could install a second version of
> Linux on the new partition. Both win98 and Linux booted with LILO
> before I created the new partition, but I have to use a boot floppy to
> boot win98 and I am unable to boot the previous Linux partition.
>
> I can boot off of a D*mn Small Linux CD and everything appears to
> be intact on the hard disk -- hda2, hda5, hda6, and hda7 -- and
> I can start up Parttition Magic with win98 booted, but when I try
> to boot from the hard disk, I get a dozen lines of "99 99 99 99 99 ..."
> and everything is locked up so I have to reboot.
>
> I have tried all the remedies I could find on the 'net, including:
>      /sbin/lilo -v
> which produces the following response:

> Unrecognized token "! Please edit /etc/lilo.conf before running lilo!"
> at or above line 20 in file '/etc/lilo.conf'
>
> I checked /etc/lilo.conf on hda6 and it looks fine to me.
>
> Can't figure out what else to try.

----
boot from the D*mn small Linux cd and run " fdisk /dev/hda -l "and view
the partitions. They may have been renumbered - Partition Magic is
capable of changing things in ways that you may not anticipate.

I think that you are going to have to chroot to the root directory of
your Linux installation and actually run lilo again (lilo -v)

Craig