Re: OSS project idea

Author: Michael Havens
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OSS project idea

Gee, I can actually contribute some useful information to the discussion that
may be useful. I hope that Vaughn hasn't set me to ignore!

1- Right click on a message that you want to go into a seperate folder
2- Select 'CREATE FILTER'
3- Follow the appropriate steps for creating folders/filters
4- Go to the first message in the mailbox
5- <CNTRL> J

It will scroll down the messages moving each message to the appropriate folder
(make all of your filters/folders at the beginning). If it just alternates
between two messages that means that your at the wrong end of the list.

On Saturday 31 July 2004 06:38, Josef Lowder wrote:
> Vaughn, I'm very interested in your idea.
> I also use kmail, though I have set up lots of folders into which I move
> mail as it corresponds to different themes and projects; but I think your
> mbex idea would be useful and I'd like to see what you have and
> experiment with it. Can you attach it to an email and send a sample
> to me at ?
>
> If I'm understanding you right, it seems that your mbex utility might
> possibly be further developed with some additional applications,
> including perhaps extracting repetitive subjects, "from" addresses,
> and other identifiers that can be saved in a "to-be-flushed" file and
> extracting to the trash folder -- and perhaps just flushing them all
> automatically. I see a number valuable possibilities.
>
> joe

> On Friday 30 July 2004 20:17, you wrote:
> > Hello fellow comrades in the Penguin:
> >
> > I had an idea for a new open-source tool, but I don't know if I'm
> > duplicating any existing effort. Here's the background: I use Kmail for
> > all my email. I have only two input mailboxes set up - one is for the
> > contact address on my web page, which gets mostly spam. The other is for
> > everything else. Over the last 3 years I've accumulated a ton of
> > project-related correspondence in my inbox, messages I want to save for
> > future reference. I've been lazy about actually saving the messages
> > elsewhere and then deleting them from the inbox. The thing is just too
> > darned big now! I don't want to pre-configure extra mailboxes; sometimes
> > a project goes on longer than I expect, and suddenly I have 100 or more
> > messages in there on that subject. What I need is a batch processor for
> > the email in my inbox, so I can archive old messages and clean up the
> > file. These would be some useful functions:
> >
> > 1. Extract all email from a particular person to a particular directory,
> > with each message having the receive date appended to the file name.
> > Attachments would automatically be extracted and saved in the same place,
> > with filenames modified to avoid overwriting.
> > 2. Extract all email on a particular thread and concatenate it to a
> > single file, with separator lines ("----------") in between the different
> > messages. 3. Extract all unique sender names so I can save them in my
> > contacts file (which is actually a spreadsheet.) This assumes of course
> > that I delete spam on a timely basis (which is the only timely thing I do
> > at the moment.)
> >
> > Part I is pretty much finished, for my purposes anyway. I call it mbex,
> > for mailbox batch extractor. I think it could be usable for many setups
> > because the mbox file format seems to be a widespread standard. But if I
> > was going to distribute this I would need to add lots of options, like
> > how to format the dates that are appended to the file names. (I do it
> > year-first so they sort alphabetically.) Feature number 1 will be the
> > most useful to me, but the others would also be great timesavers. But
> [...]

This message has been scanned for viruses by the VEI Internet
Automatic Email Spam and Virus Scanner, and is believed to be free of spam or viruses.
Please report spam to . If you would like 98.9 % spam blocked from your
E-mail then go to VEI Internet for details. Anti-spam/Anti-virus is FREE with every account.

http://www.vei.net/