Re: Slow connect to SMTP

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Slow connect to SMTP
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Bill Wesson wrote:

> User's email hangs in the outbox for 5-10 seconds before sending starts.
>
> So I started telnet-ing (on port 25) to our Sendmail-8.12.11-1 server.
> (Upgrading to Sendmail 8.13 is not possible presently, nor is another SMTP
> handler.) Sure enough, it took a good a good 5 seconds to send back the SMTP
> connect banner.

Maybe an identd (auth) or DNS lookup.

> I got an instant banner telnet-ing to pop3 on the same server.

Maybe your POP3 server doesn't do any DNS lookup, so it doesn't notice.

Or maybe it is just a ident (auth) issue.

> Our server is at mail.imarcengraver.com. Try it. Let me know ==> telnet
> mail.imarcengraver.com 25 - do you get latency?

About 30 seconds delayed before "220 SMTP service ready" banner.

In my case, I don't have any identd listening.

> Turning on AUTH (port 113) between DMZ and LAN made no difference.

The default for an ident lookup (if enabled) for sendmail is 5 seconds
(but the connection from mine still took 30 seconds).

Maybe make sure your ident is not done for sendmail.

> At the server console a telnet to 127.0.0.1 25 yields an instant banner.

Jeremy C. Reed

                 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
                http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/