Re: problem with Mandrake Linux

Author: Josef Lowder
To: Christos Chatzigiannis
CC: PLUG
Subject: Re: problem with Mandrake Linux
Copied to PLUG -- Hey PLUG friends, can anyone help this fellow?

Hi Christos ...

I wish I had an instant solution for you. Regrettably, I can't remember
how I solved the problem. But I think that I somehow managed to get my
original 8.1 Mandrake system restored and I have been living (mostly
happily) with 8.1 with no updates ever since. I just found a new monitor
that worked on my old system.

Now, I am totally gun-shy about _ever_ doing any system "updates."

For some time, I have been planning to build an all new system and
I am planning to try installing and trying out several different distros,
though I am anticipating that I may end up going back to Mandrake
again, but with a newer version. I think that Linux is sufficiently mature
now that once one gets a good, solid, dependable installation, it may
be best to forget "updates" and stay with what one knows works.

I will pass along your inquiry to our local Linux Users Group. There
are a lot of LUGs around the world, so surely somebody can help you.
Also, you might check with Netraverse, if you haven't already, as they
have provided some helpful tech support to me in the past. I may still
put Win4Lin on the new system that I am planning to build, although I
would really like to get totally away from having to have any of that
M$ garbage on any of my computers.

Joe