Re: Creating a Script to see if amavis is alive

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Creating a Script to see if amavis is alive
On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 12:59, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Craig White wrote:
>
> > Without really thinking this completely through, my initial inclination
> > would be to set up a mail alias that routes mail to /dev/null. Then I
> > would have a shell script that has something like...
> >
> > if mail user_whose_mail_goes_to_dev_null -s "testing for accepting mail"
> > = 0; then mail real_mail_notification_address -s "Problem with mail
> > server"; fi
>
> mail should always return 0 even if mail alias is missing. It is not
> mail's responsibility (and it does not know how) to check this.

---
hmmm - I was thinking that if the connection were refused, the result
would be 0 (failure) - I could be wrong, I've been wrong once or twice
before ;-)

I cannot fathom a way that you could ping or telnet into the box with
any predictable outcome to know that mail is being refused on port 25
(which is what he is looking to get alerts for).

My previous recommendation for webmin which already includes a postfix
monitor seemed to fall on deaf ears.

Craig