Re: Uses of a cluster ... was cluster software

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Uses of a cluster ... was cluster software
George Gambill said:
> Many years ago, we learned, on an IBM mainframe (slow by today's
> standards) that we could drastically increase thru put by separating
> certain files to different disk drives. This reduced head contention.
>
> I am wondering if the same distribution of files across a cluster
> (separate disk drives) might also increase performance. Granted, the
> drives back then had a 25 ms average seek time and today that number is
> less than 10.

This is called striping or RAID 0. It is done at a block level now with
so many blocks of a file going to the first drive, then the next and so
on. Don't need a cluster of computers to do it, just a RAID controller or
even software that drives the multiple drives. Linux has a software RAID
driver already that does various levels of RAID implmentations, including
RAID 0.

> It's a thought.

It's a good one.

Alan