Re: photo printer

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: photo printer
On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 07:49, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:52:48 -0700
> betty <> wrote:
>
> > i do most of my computer photo work on my linux box with the gimp but
> > have not been happy with the printer issue. i have an hp photosmart 1115
> > (soon to be upgraded) but i use it with M$ :-( wish it was different,
> > but it's the truth. make a project, transfer to M$ to print.
> > they have to get this better.
> > betty i.
>
> Betty,
>
> www.linuxprinting.org rates the 1115 as working perfectly with Linux. Here's what they say.
>
> "Best output quality reachable with the "hpijs" driver, especially the 1200-dpi high resolution mode gives excellent photo quality."

----
Two weeks ago I made a postscript rip out of Fedora and an Epson SC-3000
linux-printing.org suggested gimp-print driver was best for this printer
but I'm not sure that this applies to your problem with the HP
Photosmart. Anyway, I got lousy quality printing because the defaults of
the print driver were very low resolution.

Each distribution has it's own printer configuration tool but the cups
system has a universal tool which should be able to fix the low quality
output of your linux printing. This is how I fixed the quality...

Open a browser (mozilla?) on the linux system and open
<http://localhost:631> - This opens the CUPS configuration page and then
select <Printers> and select your printer. Click on the button
<Configure>

The things you need to configure are likely to be the 'ghostscript
resolution' 'quality' and 'media type'

I wish this were easier and cups by default, will not let you edit these
things from any computer other than localhost.

Craig