Re: Novell Freebies

Author: ec
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: All Hail Knoppix (was Re: Novell freebies)
Subject: Re: Novell Freebies
--- Michael Sammartano <> wrote

I would also like to use
> Knoppix to it's
> capacity as it is real easy to use, but I am not
> that familiar with
> Debian, therefore I will continue to use it solely
> on cd.

When and IF you use knoppix, and have a partition that
can take the 700mb in stride, the next time you boot
knoppix, tell it

boot: knoppix26 tohd=/dev/partition

As it will 'install' a mirror of the cdrom and free
the cdrom to be removed after it is done copying it to
the partition.

Then the next time you boot after that, all you have
to do is just:

boot: knoppix26 fromhd=scan

and it will spend about 1 second or so reading vmlinux
off the cdrom before it is freed up to use the burn
capablity (assuming yours is a combo reader/burner).

Also, it is MUCH faster and not as picky about doing
two or more things at once as the hd is soooo much
faster than the cdrom.

Nothing changed (except the freed up cdrom tray), just
the 'location' and speed that the 'knoppix' program is
read. Still uses ramdisk, etc.

Just my two cents worth!!

=====
Cyclists should expect and demand safe