Re: Why does knoppix work and others???

Author: Jay
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Why does knoppix work and others???
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, ec wrote:

> Thanks, got the problem solved as this is being sent
> by a 'loose slaker', hehehe!!

Excellent - glad to hear it. I know where you are coming from. I cut my
teeth on Slackware back in ~1995 - it was one of the few distributions
available in those days. While I have not used Slackware since ~1999, it
will always have a special place in my memory. Slackware orcing me to
"sink or swim" really gave me a very solid foundational understanding of
Linux and has been infinitely valuable ever since.

I would not trade all my Slackware "scars" for a million bucks. Knowing
exactly how the whole system is built, how everything works, what makes it
all tick, is a very powerful chunk of knowledge that will pay off for a
very long time. Of course, I am sure that Slackware is more "user
friendly" these days than it was in the mid-90's. Nonetheless, I am also
sure that Patrick has still made sure it is an excellent platform for
*really learning* Linux.

...teach a man to fish... :)

--
~Jay