Re: Throttling sendmail on *outbound* connections

Author: Matt Alexander
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Throttling sendmail on *outbound* connections
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Bill Jonas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've hit Google with different keyword combinations, read the list of
> FEATURE()s and the FAQ on sendmail.org, and come up only with ways to
> limit the inbound connection rate (either absolutely, based on system
> load, or numbers of bad recipients).
>
> Is there any way to limit the rate at which Sendmail *sends* email,
> preferably on a per-domain basis? Someone I know had looked into it
> before and said that he recalled coming to the conclusion that it could
> not be done with Sendmail (although it was easily done with Postfix, but
> that's not an option for this particular situation). Basically, an MX
> server is stupidly rejecting email sent too rapidly with a permanent
> error. One message to 25 recipients works fine, but 25 messages each to
> a single (different) recipient will start failing (with a 550 error)
> around message 15 or 20, requiring a wait of around five to ten minutes
> before it will accept any more mail from the same host.
>
> The admins of the remote system refuse to recognize that there is a
> problem, even when presented with evidence (bounce messages). This is
> Sendmail 8.11. Will I have to live with this, or is there a workaround?

This post might provide some guidance:

http://www.mailarchive.ca/lists/comp.mail.sendmail/2004-04/0734.html

Another option, if you're up to the challenge, would be to use the Linux
traffic shaping utilities to slow outgoing connections to port 25. Sorry
I can't be more help (I'm still learning about traffic shaping myself),
but here's a few random links to get you started:

http://www.knowplace.org/shaper/

http://tcng.sourceforge.net/

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO-9.html