Re: wav ->mp3

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: wav ->mp3
On Monday 28 June 2004 10:48, you wrote:

> > Honestly I do believe that the reference to Google is a bit childish.
> > The purpose of this group is to help. If you can't help, DO NOT REPLY!
> > You are only helping the integrity of the group, if I was a new user, I
> > would be woried that a question here lately would embarass me or make me
> > feel like a newbie. Let us all remember why this group is here.
>
> Since 99% of the questions on this list are from Mike and most could be
> easily solved by a quick Google search, I don't think it's too much to ask
> that he try there first and if he still can't find a suitable answer then
> he could approach the list with something like, "Hey, I googled for this
> and read the man and info pages and I'm still stuck..." One of the best
> things you can learn as a Linux enthusiast is how to use the many tools
> available to you to solve your problems. I enjoy helping others learn and
> improve their Linux knowledge and skills, but I also want to see them
> learn to research and solve problems on their own.
> ~M

Matt, I don't mean to bash you, so please don't take this comment personally.
I myself took your posting as a bit of a joke. But Michael does have a good
point. A couple of years ago I worked on a Linux project with a guy who was
a fair bit more experienced than me. I mentioned PLUG, and he said he had
been turned off by the "RTFM attitude" of some of the group members. I
personally thought he was being a bit over-sensitive, and I told him I had
gotten a lot of help from PLUG people. But I think we should be aware that
newbies aren't always sure if they're even asking the right question. I know
I've had a lot of trouble with terminology in the past, and if you don't know
the right terms, Google isn't much help.

Vaughn