Re: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

Author: plug
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda count=1
that will dump zeros to block one of the first hard drive in the
system. After stopping the command, and seeing that it had written
84800992 blocks with zeros, I'm pretty darned sure it over wrote the
entire drive, several times over. With reiserfs's default block size of
4096 bytes, that'd be about 347.3 gigabytes... I think it's safe to say
this drive is zeroed. :)

>>> 6/26/04 9:10:42 PM >>>

* Quoth plug (), on Sat, 2004.06.26, at 20:46
-0700:
> Anyone have any idea how long that command should take to execute on

> 80G drive? Does it actually drop back to the command prompt when
> complete, or does it start over at the beginning, when it finishes?

It might, if you don't tell it otherwise.

try adding "count=1".

/i.