Re: Any suggestions on how to improve this?

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Any suggestions on how to improve this?
On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 01:39, George Toft wrote:
> Bill Jonas wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 08:17:34PM -0700, George Toft wrote:
> > > I'm comparing OS costs. The box comes with Windows, which the company
> > > pays for. Linux is extra.
> >
> > Ahem. I think you said "Linux" when you meant "Windows". As in, "The
> > box comes with Windows, which the company pays for. Windows is extra."
> >
> > It is my understanding that most mid-size-and-larger businesses have a
> > site or volume license for Windows and many of them will Ghost a
> > standard OS image onto the drive. OEMs will not sell a "naked" PC.
> > Thus, most businesses in this class wind up paying twice for the same
> > product.
> >
> > Or am I mistaken?
>
> You are correct if the box will have Windows installed. If Linux us
> installed, it was shipped with Windows, then Linux, WHICH IS NOT FREE
> ($$$), is installed. The RHAS license is $2700 per server. That's what
> I meant by "Linux is extra."

----
Are we talking about desktops or servers? Are we using just Dell or all
OEM's?

Servers - can be bought without any OS whatsoever, even Dell. Thus you
could buy a Dell PowerEdge 400SC without an OS and install Debian if you
want. No versions of Windows involved.

Desktops - depends upon OEM vendor. Dell doesn't sell laptops or
desktops without Windows but other vendors do.

Craig