Re: Knoppix on a PPC

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Knoppix on a PPC
On Jun 22, 2004, at 7:57 PM, Don Calfa wrote:

> I just bought a new iBook G4 and I'd like to have it so that I can
> boot Knoppix on it so my wife can play her games. The CD is good
> because other G4's boot with it but this iBook doesn't. Anybody have
> a similar problem?

I've seen enough install disks that would only boot with older versions
of Open Firmware, including both Gentoo and Debian, that I'm not
surprised. I am surprised that so many distributions ship with very out
of date versions of Yaboot, but that's been going on for a long time.
You can go to <http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/> and build your
own boot-loader from source and then burn it onto your own disk. Or
just go with a current Gentoo LiveCD.

--
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary
depends upon his not understanding it.